Shrimps are the decapods crustaceans, found in the ocean and consumed by the humans around the world. They have always been a favourite of seafood lovers and eaten on the weekends and special occasions. Shrimps have exceptional taste once they are cooked and because of their high nutritional facts, they are also a healthy addition into the food menu.
Shrimps contain high levels of omega-3 fatty acids and low levels of mercury. They are also high in calcium, iodine and protein but contain low levels of food energy. Shrimps are also a good source of cholesterol and considered healthy for circulatory system because of low levels of saturate fat.
Most shrimps found in the market are sold frozen. Shrimp dishes are delicious and a lot depend upon the ingredients and preparation of the dishes.
Among the dishes, skewer shrimp recipes are quite popular because of their delicious palate. So, if you are planning to enjoy the real taste of shrimps, why not try ginger-scallion shrimp skewers and bok-choy over coconut rice?
• 4 skewers of defrosted jumbo shrimp sugarcane
• ¼ cup of ginger/scallion marinade
• 1 ½ cups of uncooked Jasmine rice
• 1 ¼ cups of water
• 1 can (14 oz) of coconut milk
• 1 tsp of sugar
• 4 to 5 pieces of quartered baby bok choy
• Salt, to taste
• At first, start cooking the rice, as it will take longest
• Take a small saucepan and combine coconut milk, sugar and ½ tsp of salt over medium-high heat
• Bring it to boil and let the sugar melt. Now, mix in the rice and return to a boil
• Reduce the heat down to simmer after covering the pan
• Let the rice get cooked for 18 to 20 minutes
• Now, take a medium size pot with heavily salted butter
• Once everything is ready, bring the pot to a boil for cooking bok choy
• Take a large non-stick pan and heat 1 to 2 tbsp of vegetable oil over medium-high heat
• When the oil is shimmery, add in the shrimp skewers
• Cook one side until they become golden brown in colour, almost for 2 to 3 minutes
• Flip the skewers and apply ginger scallion marinade
• It will take another 2 minutes for shrimps to get fully cooked
• Flip once more and brush marinade on the second side
• Take away the skewers from pan and top with pan drippings. Keep it warm
• By now, rice would have cooked. Turn off the heat and let the rice covered for 5 minutes more
• Now, place the bok choy into boiling water and cook till the time it has turned bright green and tender, for almost 2 to 3 minutes. Take away from water and keep it warm
• Serve the rice after fluffing it with a fork
• Top the rice with a shrimp skewer, few pieces of bok choy and sprinkle pan drippings from sauce
This dish can also be ordered online. So, if you want to prepare this scrumptious dish at your home, order the recipe online.